JHDC Summer Intensive has been designed to promote deep professional and skill enhancement in an intimate environment. You will enjoy the intensive and targeted work as you complete the weekly sequences that are custom designed for each professional and student’s growth through the JHDC Individual Summer Intensive Plan. This is a rigorous training that runs for 5 weeks and provides 110+ hours of instruction and support.
The following are mandatory components that will contribute to your success outcomes and results:
- Intensive Placement
- 14 hours per week (10 Classes):
4 classes are 1.5 hours each and 4 classes are 2 hours each
- 1 Rehearsal per week – Friday 8:30-10:00 p.m.
- 3 Master Classes (2 hours each) with world-renowned guest artists
- Concert Performance:
In Studio Performance: will be held on Saturday, August 1, 2015
Company Auditions: Company auditions will be conducted on Sunday, August 23, 2015.
All Intensive participants will be encouraged to participate in this formal audition process as professional development as well as for consideration as a Joel Hall Dancers & Center Company Member.
Times for auditions on Aug 23 will be as follows:
- Joel Hall Dancers Youth Company 9:30am-11:30am
- Joel Hall Dancers 2nd Company (men and women) 11:30am-1:30pm
- Joel Hall Dancers (men only) 1:30pm-3:30pm
It is strongly recommended that anyone interested
in being a company member participate in our Summer Intensive.
Professional / Instructor / Advanced – dancers with extensive experience and mastery of advanced skills. Including but not limited to dancers who are currently: Professional dance company members, seeking a professional dance career track, dance teachers who are currently delivering dance curriculum, collegiate dancers, advanced placement, former/non-professional level not in a company.
Intermediate – dancers who are actively engaged in skill progression and have been dancing for an extended period of time.
The adult intensive is run by Joel Hall.
- Complete JHDC Summer Intensive Registration Form, the Intensive Commitment Form and the Waiver Form. Submit all forms with payment. Installment plans available.
- Provide payment (Cash, Check, Money Orders & Credit Card) via the link at Joelhall.org or call (773)293-0900 or pay in person at the JHD Center at 5965 N. Clark St., Chicago, IL 60660.
- Provide your bio with a photo attached. Indicate years of dance experience and types of classes.
- Provide minimally a 300-word essay on the topic: “What dance means to me and what outcomes I intend to achieve as a delegate of the 2015 Summer Intensive”.
- Provide a performance resume (if you have one)
The Intensive Schedule is designed to enhance your dance skills and professional development portfolio. Classes will be scheduled independently for demanding group work as well as within the larger studio class structure for thorough exposure:
- 2 Ballet Classes
- 2 Jazz Classes
- 4 Technique classes (2 hours each) taught by JHDC Faculty
From 2:30 – 4:30 p.m.
- Monday – Jazz
- Tuesday – Ballet
- Thursday – Modern (Horton-based)
- Friday – Modern (Graham-based)
- 2 Rehearsals (2 hours) Tuesdays, 8:00 to 10:00 p.m. & Fridays from 8:30 to 10:00 p.m.
- 3 Master Classes with world-renowned guest artists (2 hours each)
Why is JHDC’s Summer Intensive a great value?
- Dedicated intensive classes with other intensive students — 10 per week
- Skills Assessment — pre- and post-intensive
- 3 master classes taught by renowned teachers
- Dedicated rehearsal time — 2 hours per week
- Exercise your mind as well as your body with challenging choreography!
- Connect with your fellow dancers!
- In studio performance for friends & family
- Audition for Joel Hall Dancers 2nd Company and/or Joel Hall Dancers Youth Company